The process of examining, evaluating, and forming conclusions regarding the causes and events of a vehicle crash is known as traffic accident reconstruction or accident reconstruction. This approach is typically used when the cause of an accident is not immediately apparent or easy to ascertain. This technique is based on physics and engineering concepts, vehicle dynamics, mathematics, photogrammetry, computations and simulations, and certain accident reconstruction software. Accident reconstruction is frequently a critical component of a successful personal injury claim involving vehicle crashes.
The research studies on accident reconstruction were pioneered by Hugh H. Hurt Jr. The first national guidelines for standardizing training in the field of traffic crash reconstruction were supported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in 1985. As a result, the Certification Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction (ACTAR), an industry accreditation association, was established.
Before diving deep into the subject of thought, let’s get to know the need for accident reconstruction.
Why is Accident Reconstruction Important in a Motor Vehicle Crash Claim?
While seeking legal help to file a personal injury lawsuit for a motor vehicle crash, even the minute details may turn out weighty. Photographs, video footage, witness testimony, traffic collision report, everything would determine the case. The claimant would present his damages with the aid of medical records, thereby trying to grip the maximum possible compensation. On the other hand, the defendant may try to oppose the arguments of the claimant and take the claim to his advantage.
When some personal injury cases come for an evaluation, there may be
- Ambiguities in the statements given
- Poor road conditions due to the fault of government entities
- Multiple vehicles may be involved in the crash
- No witnesses present
- Severe property damage as a result of the crash
- Missing or incomplete evidence
- No recollection by the individuals of the accident details
- Parties pointing fingers at each other
- Damage in the vehicles beyond repair
How do such claims validate and the case built? Accident reconstruction would be the saving grace in such lawsuits. In complicated motor vehicle accidents involving conflicting statements from the parties, it is imperative to consult an expert personal injury attorney familiar with accident reconstruction.
Vehicle accident reconstruction helps the claimant to obtain the most favorable settlement from the lawsuit. It would, in turn, support the victim in managing his massive financial stress related to the medical costs, lost income, pain and suffering, and other damages.
What does a Crash Reconstructionist do?
Accident reconstruction experts are professionals trained to perform a collision analysis. Both government agencies and private companies hire them to help determine the cause of motor vehicle crashes. Collision analysts are also hired as expert witnesses by the attorneys to assist in building cases.
The below mentioned are the central steps in an accident reconstruction procedure.
- Accident reconstruction specialists carry out a thorough investigation of the vehicle involved in the crash. Examination of the vehicles’ headlights, brake lights, and other safety equipment would be done to check if they were working correctly at the time of the collision. Any unresolved safety recalls that may have contributed to the crash would be studied.
- They would investigate the accident spot and gather all the available evidence. They would examine the environment and road conditions at the time of the accident.
- They then analyze every report and evidence associated with the claim. This may include traffic collision reports, witness statements, photographs captured after the crash, and deposition transcripts of the parties involved.
- The accident reconstructionist also analyses the medical record review reports to study the injuries sustained by the claimant in relation to the impact.
Based on the reports, accident reconstruction would be done with the help of specific tools and the best accident reconstruction software. The common software used by collision reconstructionists is CAD (computer-aided design) programs, simulation or modeling tools, vehicle specification databases, momentum, and energy analysis programs, collision simulators, and photogrammetry software. The accident reconstruction formulas and software aid in reconstructing the crash scenes. The final report would include written reports and 3D models that indicate how the impact had occurred.
Applications of Crash Reconstruction
- Accident reconstructions are usually done in accident lawsuits when there have been fatalities or serious injuries.
- Expert witness testimony based on collision reconstruction is sometimes utilized in the trial at court.
- Collision reconstruction results are occasionally utilized to make roads and highways safer, as well as to improve the safety of vehicle designs.
- Accident reconstruction could reveal even minute details of the crash, including speeding errors in turning and lane changes, loss of driver control, dangerous road conditions, visibility issues, and vehicle defects.
- Accident reconstruction reports may include models, diagrams, or computer animations to help the attorney to substantiate the claim easily.
Driving is perhaps one of the riskiest activities most of us will ever engage in. An accident can change your life in the blink of an eye. Moments of pain, shock, guilt, dread, uneasiness, and anger may haunt you. It may be your fault or another driver’s negligence. You may not be at your best to evaluate the mishap at that moment.
If you are planning to handle your car accident claim by yourself, that won’t be a smart decision, especially if you lack evidence and witness statements. Consult a practiced personal injury lawyer and have a case evaluation. Your attorney would hire a traffic accident reconstructionist to strengthen your claim. In a complicated case, statements and evidence from a well-respected, competent accident reconstruction analyst would be sizable.
Follow us on Twitter for more updates.
1/5 Do you know about accident reconstruction?
Accident reconstruction is a field dedicated to the analysis of factors that lead to a crash. #lezdomedlegal #accidentreconstruction #personalinjury pic.twitter.com/JTPc0SGBW7
— LezDo MedLegal (@LezDoMedLegal) November 11, 2022